The Russell Press recognises the importance of environmental considerations and is committed to a policy of ongoing care for the environment and will take this into account at all stages of business planning, development, production and marketing whilst continuing to produce high quality products to our customer's specification and satisfaction.
The Russell Press is committed to the prevention of pollution and to continual improvement and has implemented an environmental management system for this purpose. The company also commits to meet or exceed legal requirements and those of relevant industry codes of practice and our customers.
The following objectives will be pursued:
- To maintain systems to prevent/reduce any environmental pollution and alert the company to any accidental emissions or incidents.
- To maintain systems for the responsible purchase, development, operation and maintenance of plant and associated processes to reflect the principles above.
- To reduce consumption of all raw materials used, including water, fuel and energy.
- To reduce the amount of solvents and other hazardous chemicals in the workplace and/or atmosphere.
- To reduce waste in production and packaging.
- Provide safe, clean and hygienic working conditions.
- Ensure that any waste generated is labelled, stored and disposed of correctly and, where possible, recycled.
- Reduce noise levels to lowest levels practical for employees and members of the public.
- Co-ordinate deliveries and sales calls to reduce transport costs and energy use where possible.
- To ensure that the management, staff and sub-contractors understand and comply with this policy.
- To communicate environmental awareness to our staff through regular briefings and training where required.
- Periodically review and revise this policy.
- To continue recycling programmes with respect to electrical equipment, toner, ink cartridges and ink tins.
- To continue recycling activities with respect to paper, contaminated cloths and pallets.
- To reduce general waste in line with the regulations set out in the Waste Hierarchy guidelines set by the Department of the Environment.
- To maintain the programme of awareness that encourages PC users to “switch off” their PC’s at the sockets at the end of the day, where practical.
- To monitor the fuel efficiency and CO2 levels of all company vehicles with a view to reducing emissions where practical.
- Continue monitoring programmes with respect to Gas, Electricity and Water consumption.
- To service air condition units annually.
- Ensure that each new employee is given training on appropriate aspects of the Environmental Management System and any subject having a bearing on environment issues related to their job during the Induction Training process.
- Internal & external working environments to be monitored/audited continually and formally reported on twice yearly.
- Maintain our Legislation Register with any changes in Environmental Legislation twice yearly